Most leadership positions have closed for the 2019-2020 school year. Please check back in January 2020 for positions for the 2020-2021 school year.
For questions or clarifications about positions or deadlines: Please contact Bryce Williams at email@example.com or call 801-581-4811.
Student-Directed Program Directors
Student Program Directors manage ongoing volunteer programs with local community organizations and schools. Program Directors work with a student coordinator (Issue Area Coordinator) and Bennion Center staff partner to best serve the needs of community partners and other volunteers. It is strongly recommended that prospective Program Directors volunteer with or visit the community partner prior to applying for this position.
Program Directors are expected to serve 5-10 hours a week, depending on the program. Some programs may also require service during the summer months (see application for details).
In addition to the general duties of a Bennion Center student leader, Program Directors are expected to:
- Volunteer regularly within the respective program (see Volunteer Interest Form for a description of each program).
- Recruit, orient, train and retain volunteers as necessary for your program.
- Respond to prospective Volunteer Interest Forms (VIFs) within 24-48 hours.
- Maintain regular communication with your respective staff partner, community partner, and Issue Area Coordinator.
- Complete all required Community Partner Agreement meetings by the established deadlines.
- Maintain a VIF tracking spreadsheet (a database of all prospective, current and past volunteers, including contact information and university ID).
- Keep track of monthly hours served within your program by Bennion Center volunteers.
- Attend monthly meetings facilitated by your Issue Area Coordinator.
- Perform the duties required by the specific program (see specific program description for details).
- Be a Bennion Center Ambassador: build an in-depth understanding of the programs and opportunities at the Bennion Center
- Complete Motor Pool certification (or identify yourself as a non-driver)
- Complete Youth Protection requirements (applies to certain programs only)
- 1 Office Hour (Front Desk or Programming)
- Program Commitment (with Community Partner)
- Issue Area Meeting
- Hours Logs/Reflections
- Attend Legacy of Lowell Saturday Service Project (Fall) & MLK Saturday Service Project (Spring)
- 1 Leadership Workshop (per semester)
- 2 hours tabling (per semester)
- Student Leader Orientation (May 10 or Aug TBD)
- 3 Community Partner Agreement meetings per academic year.
Arts and Recreation
Arts For Youth
The Arts for Youth programs works in cooperation with Promise South Salt Lake at the Historic Scott School location. The Program Director(s) will plan and implement art-related activities for elementary-age children. Activities may include crafts, music, dance/theatre – any type of art is appreciated!
Summer hours for Arts for Youth is M-F, 12:30 – 5:00 pm – Program Director(s) will conduct programming during this time frame (roughly 2 hours 1 day per week). Hours will change during the academic year but the programming expectation will remain the same)
Utah Reads Site Team Leader Position
Under the oversight of the Utah Reads Coordinator, Utah Reads Site Team Leaders are responsible for ensuring the overall quality of the tutoring program at one elementary school or community agency. The Site Team Leader provides the on-going support necessary for tutors to fulfill the mission and objectives of the Utah Reads program. This includes working with site administration to ensure effective tutoring strategies are in place. Students applying for this position need to be qualified to receive work-study funding from the financial aid department. Preference given to students with experience with Utah Reads or Next Steps training.
If you have questions, please contact Asma Hassan, 801-585-9101, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Site Team Leaders Needed at the following locations
- Liberty Elementary
- Riley Elementary
- Parkview Elementary
- Mountain View Elementary
- Glendale CLC
- Neighborhood House
- Mary Jackson Elementary