We are delighted that you are considering bringing your gifts and skills to the Bennion Center. We look forward to serving alongside you!
What do Bennion Center Committees do?
- Advance the mission & values of the Lowell Bennion Community Service Center - The Bennion Center fosters lifelong service and civic participation by engaging the university with the greater community in action, change and learning.
- Provide recommendations for strategic direction, including goal setting and evaluation
- May be asked to serve as a member of the Bennion Center Advisory Board
Benefits to Serving
- Skill development
- Community engagement & service
Skills and Qualifications
- Interest in community service and engagement
- Willingness to serve as an advocate for the Bennion Center’s mission and initiatives.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other committee members, staff, faculty, and students
- Willingness to take on tasks/projects and see these through to completion
Serve throughout academic year July 1 – June 30.
Attend the following meetings:
- (1) New Committee Member Orientation ~2 hours (May or August)
- (1) Board and Committee Social ~2 hours (August)
- (4-8) Committee meetings ~1-2 hours (schedule depending on committee)
- Additional time for tasks, projects, and participation with committee-specific responsibilities ~1-3 hours / month
- Total ~20 – 35 hours / year
Committee Descriptions & Responsibilities
Committees are composed of community members, University of Utah faculty & staff, alumni, and students. These working committees have specific goals, objectives and tasks. Each member plays a vital role in their success. Committees include:
- Bennion Center Scholars (formerly Community Engaged Scholars)
- Advise, support, and review scholar’s independent service projects
- Plan and execute Issues & Action Luncheons and Bennion-Hinckley Forums
- Community Outreach
- Plan and implement 5 Saturday Service projects (includes Legacy of Lowell Day of Service)
- Support Project Youth (April)
- Support First Year Service Corps
- Collaborate on fundraising initiatives
- Plan and execute the annual Board and Committee Social
- Marketing and Alumni
- Formulate and oversee execution of a Bennion Center-wide communication plan
- Connect with and engage U of U/BC alumni
- Student Programs
- Provide direction, support and leadership for Bennion Center Student Programs (Alternative Breaks, Service House, Student-Directed Programs, Utah Reads)