Mark your calendar to join us on September 21, 2019!
It's an annual tradition of service! Every year hundreds of University of Utah students, faculty, and staff join forces with community members to make our communities more healthy, resilient, inclusive, and just. Volunteers spend the morning serving at one of dozens of local non-profit organizations.
Here's what happened in 2018:
900 volunteers | 29 Projects | 2,388 hours of service
Best Friends Animal Society
- 24 dog beds constructed
Salt Lake County Animal Services
- Created 20 shelters for feral cats
Friends for Sight
- 14 volunteers certified to volunteer at vision screenings
Primary Children’s Hospital
- 300 craft kids assembled for kids’ playroom at hospital
Maliheh Free Clinic
- Old clinic was deep cleaned and prepared for the new nonprofit to move in
37 hats for newborns knitted
Catholic Community Services
more than 20 boxes of housing items assembled
Quilts for People with Refugee Status
- Created 5 quilts for people with refugee status
Days for Girls
- Over 100 feminine hygiene kits were assembled. These kits include washable feminine hygiene items for girls and women in developing countries, enabling them to stay in school or at work while they are menstruating each month.
Youth Making a Difference (YMAD)
50 educational folders assembled for youth instruction in India.
IRC/Spice Kitchen Incubator
- Deep cleaned spice kitchen, so that entrepreneurs with refugee backgrounds have a functional space to cook
The Road Home - Downtown
- Volunteers helped sort donations.
The Road Home - Midvale
- 24 boxes of toys cleaned
The Sharing Place
- Volunteers helped prepare for their annual gala by stuffing gift cards, pulling weeds, and trimming bushes
Salt Lake Valley Habitat for Humanity
- Cleaned and sorted items at the Restore
Utah Food Bank - Sorting
- Volunteers worked as a team to sort 400 pounds of food and assemble into food boxes, repackaging bulk food into family-sized amounts, or labeling food for distribution.
Utah Food Bank - Delivery
- 21 boxes of food delivered to people who are homebound
Bags to Beds
- Broke down 1,200 plastic bags, started 12 new mats
Bend in the River
- Puncturevine pulling, raking with bagging leaves, weeding, river clean-up with beaver traps, sweeping trash
Earth Community Garden and Food Pantry
- Volunteers assisted in cleaning and restoration of the New Hope Community Center and constructed 10 garden beds
Edible Campus Gardens
- 4 wheelbarrows of weeds pulled, all compost turned and sifted
Glendale Community Learning Center - Landscaping
- weeded beds at Glendale Middle School
Glendale-Mountain View CLC - Gardening
- Weeding and spreading of 16 cubic feet of mulch
Mary W. Jackson Elementary School
- Community garden cleaned and weeded to allow students and families to garden
Rose Park Community Garden
- 50 plots mulched, winter wheat planted in 120 sq. ft., dug 120 sq. ft. of potatoes
Sorenson Unity Center
- Volunteers helped refurbish the entire campus
The Green Urban Lunch Box
- Volunteers built a chicken tractor to move chickens around the farm so they can eat down grass and bugs.
- Volunteers planted 12 trees and performed tree care.
Thank You to Our Wonderful 2018 Sponsors!
Visit our facebook page to see photos from the event.