Bennion Center Committees are composed of community members, University of Utah faculty & staff, alumni, and students. Each committee member plays a vital role as a champion for community engagement and promoter of student success helping to move the mission forward. We are delighted that you are considering bringing your gifts and skills to the Bennion Center. We look forward to serving alongside you!
What do Bennion Center Committees do?
- Advance the mission & values of the Lowell Bennion Community Service Center - The Bennion Center fosters lifelong service and civic participation by engaging the university with the greater community in action, change and learning.
- Provide recommendations for strategic direction, including goal setting and evaluation
- May be asked to serve as a member of the Bennion Center Advisory Board
Benefits to Serving
- Skill development
- Community engagement & service
Skills and Qualifications
- Interest in community service, civic engagement, marketing, philanthropy, or social entrepreneurship.
- Willingness to serve as an advocate for the Bennion Center’s mission and initiatives.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other committee members, staff, faculty, and students
- Willingness to take on tasks/projects and see these through to completion
Serve throughout academic year July 1 – June 30.
Attend the following meetings:
- (1) Board and Committee Social ~2 hours (August 17, 2018)
- (4-8) Committee meetings ~1-2 hours (schedule depending on committee)
- Additional time for tasks, projects, and participation with committee-specific responsibilities ~1-3 hours / month
- Total ~18 – 35 hours / year
Committee Descriptions & Responsibilities
Committees are composed of community members, University of Utah faculty & staff, alumni, and students. These working committees have specific goals, objectives and tasks. Each member plays a vital role in their success. Committees include:
- Bennion Center Scholars
- Advise, support, and review scholar’s independent service projects
- Plan and execute four (4) Bennion-Hinckley Forums
- Community Outreach
- Plan and implement five (5) Saturday Service Projects (includes Legacy of Lowell Day of Service)
- Support Project Youth event (April 25, 2018)
- Support First Year Service Corps (cohort of first year students interested in service)
- Development & Alumni
- Collaborate on fundraising initiatives
- Connect with and engage Bennion Center & U of U alumni
- Plan and execute the annual Board and Committee Social
- Formulate and oversee execution of marketing & communications plan
- Student Programs
- Provide direction, support and leadership for Bennion Center Student Programs (Alternative Breaks, Service House, Student-Directed Programs, Utah Reads)